Sunday, February 24, 2013

Life of Pi- the most dangerous animal


Which animal, do you think, is the most dangerous animal at a zoo? 
A Tiger? Lion? Bear? or maybe even an ostrich?.. 
Wrong. The most dangerous type of "animals" at a zoo, at any zoo, is humans. I bet you weren't expecting that. In the book, Pi tells us about how sinical and thoughtless humans can be. There have been many cases where humans have killed animals at zoos unintentionally and intentionally. Is this true? I don't know, but that's how the books claims to be. When I was little, I remember going to a zoo, and getting in trouble for feeding a lamb by one of the employees. It clearly said in bold letters "do not feed the animals", so it was obviously my fault.  Next time I went to a zoo, I knew better. I knew better not to get caught and be more stealthy. I was not a sinical child, I just didn't understand why I wasn't allowed to feed them. It made me feel happy and achieved as the animals gratefully ate the food I was giving them. They were so cute, peacefully eating any food they're given with no complaints. I'm not sure why, but I got a joy out of providing food for the animals that were being caged in everyday of their lives. I never realized, that feeding them could actually harm them in any way. If a person gives them food, like me, that they cannot digest for some reason, they can suffer for weeks. Constant barfing and not being able to eat any other food for a certain period of time, they become extremely weak, also effecting their immune system. You can now probably see why this could become a problem. You know what's worse? Some people tend to think that animals can digest anything. Feeding them coins, paper, etc.. There has even been a case where someone fed an aniaml a nail. Yes, a nail that we use to hang something up on the wall. This animal ended up suffering for a long time and dying. Because of that one little thing some thoughtless persond fed, it thinking it's funny. Well, think about it. How would you feel if somebody tried to feed you a nail? How would your body react if you shoved a nail down your throat? 
We, humans, have far more intelligence and common sense than any other creature on this planet. Let's use our intelligence and common sense, I insist. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't know that animals could suffer from being fed random stuff by people. I've been to a zoo before as well, during my toddler days, and I remember seeing "don't feed the animal" signs as well. It seems like we both fondled innocent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. People always think animals are dangerous because they are savage. However, when the animals stay in zoo for a while, their wild natural will be denied. In my opinion people are protecting animals in a wrong way. The visitors in the zoo want to provide food for animals, but they don’t know the food will harm animals. The zookeepers think they provide a nice place and food for animals, but they don’t know the animals want freedom. The best we can do is that try to keep the original natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the baby beluga whale at the aquarium dying because of a penny stuck in its blow-hole. Some child probably tossed it into the tank. Humans and their products are indeed dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  4. they should do a better job of maintaining visitors away from animals in zoos/aquarium :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's aweful zoos should explain better to people why they can't feed the animals because what may seem obvious to us now may not be to other people... Like you when you fed the animals.

    ReplyDelete