Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Relating to Pi (in an odd way)

  
  As I have already mentioned in my previous post (Who's Pi?), Pi's real name is Piscine. Piscine Molitor Patel, his uncles favorite swimming pool in France. Because this is an odd name, people have had difficulties spelling and pronouncing his name properly. Some thought his name was spelled P.Singh, and thought he was a Sikh (also wondered why he wasn't wearing a turban). Then, it happened when he was twelve- the name calling.
   He had just arrived at the schoolyard one morning, and a boy his age suddenly had a flash of evil light up his dull mind. He pointed at Pi, and shouted, "It's Pissing Patel!". Of course, everyone laughed at this joke, seeing how they were twelve (to be honest, people my age would  laugh at this too), and this was the beginning. Kids would constantly crack up jokes about his name like "You're facing the wall. Are you Pissing?"or "Where's Pissing? I've got to go." You can probably imagine how mortifying and annoying it would be to hear those jokes every single day, about something that's not your fault or that you can't help.
   Well, Pi was a smart kid. When he went to secondary school, he knew what to do. On the first day of school, all new classes started, and students took turns saying their names out loud. Pi had been anticipating this moment. When it was his turn, he got up with out hesitation, ran to the blackboard and wrote, 

My name is Piscine Molitor Patel, known to all as 
Pi Patel

  And with that, he ended the constant teasing of his name. Why is the title of this post "Relating to Pi" when I'm only writing about how Pi came up with his own new nickname? If you know my name, you would realize why I can relate to this. The name Eunsol is a pretty average, normal name in Korea, also the hardest word to pronounce in Canada. I moved here in grade 5, not realizing that my name would become a problem. No, I never really got teased for my name, but the biggest problem with me meeting new people is the introducing my name part. I already know I would have to say it over and over again, only to repeat it for them again when I see them later. That's my biggest regret, not making an English name for myself when I moved here. So in that sense, I am pretty jealous and impressed with Pi for coming up with such idea, and not just accepting the teasing as what he has to put up with for the rest of his life. Good job Pi.

1 comment: